The chance of developing melanoma, and other types of skin cancer can be minimized by following these general rules:
- Avoid extended periods of sun exposure, especially during peak hours.
- Protect the skin from UV rays with broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- When outdoors, wear sun hats and a protective layer of clothing, and shield the eyes with sunglasses that offer UV protection.
- Do not use sunlamps, tanning beds, and tanning booths, all potentially dangerous sources of UV radiation.
- Regular follow up with a dermatologist, particularly if you have a history of skin cancer