Serge Cremers, PhD, PharmD
Division of Laboratory Medicine
Serge Cremers was born in 1969 in Heerlen, The Netherlands. He received his PharmD from the University of Groningen in 1996 and his PhD from Leiden University in The Netherlands in 2004. He joined Columbia University in 2006 after working for 2 years as a Clinical Pharmacologist at Novartis Oncology in Florham Park, NJ. He is currently an Associate Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology and Medicine at CUMC, where he is also an attending Clinical Chemist. He is director of Pathology's Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology Laboratory as well as director of the Biomarkers Core Laboratory of the Irving Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Dr Cremers' research focuses on clinical and translational pharmacology of drugs in cancer, transplantation, contraception and metabolic bone diseases. He has (co-)authored over 100 original papers and a number or reviews and book chapters. He is also Senior Editor (Reviews) of the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
- Clinical Chemistry
A. Original, Peer-reviewed articles:
1. Dutta A, Panja S, Virk RK, Kim JY, Zott R, Cremers S, Golombos DM, Liu D, Mosquera JM, Mostaghel EA, Barbieri CE, Mitrofanova A, and Abate-Shen C. Co-clinical analysis of a genetically-engineered mouse model and human prostate cancer reveals significance of NKX3.1 expression for response to 5-alpha-reductase inhibition. Eur Urology 2017; in press.
2. Welsch ME, Kaplan A, Chambers JM, Stokes ME, Bos PH, Zask A, Zhang Y, Sanchez-Martin M, Badgley MA, Huang CS, Tran TH, Akkiraju H, Brown LM, Nandakumar R, Cremers S, Yang WS, Tong L, Olive KP, Ferrando A, Stockwell BR. Multivalent Small-Molecule Pan-RAS Inhibitors. Cell. 2017;168(5):878-889
3. Praditpan P, Hamouie A, Basaraba CN, Nandakumar R, Cremers S, Davis AR, Westhoff CL. Pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel and ulipristal acetate emergency contraception in women with normal and obese body mass index. Contraception. 2017, In Press.
4. Westhoff CL, Pike MC, Cremers S, Eisenberger A, Thomassen S, Rosing J. Endogenous thrombin potential changes during the first cycle of oral contraceptive use. Contraception. 2017, In Press.
5. Basaraba CN, Westhoff CL, Pike MC, Nandakumar R, Cremers S. Estimating systemic exposure to levonorgestrel from an oral contraceptive. Contraception. 2016, In Press.
6. Amengual JE, Prabhu SA, Lombardo M, Zullo KM, Johannet PM, Gonzalez Y, Scotto L, Jirau-Serrano X, Wei Y, Duong JK, Nandakumar R, Cremers S, Verma A, Elemento O, O'Connor OA. Mechanisms of Acquired Drug Resistance to the HDAC6 Selective Inhibitor Ricolinostat Reveals Rational Drug : Drug Combination with Ibrutinib. Clin Cancer Res. 2016, in Press.
7. Carrelli A, Bucovsky M, Horst R, Cremers S, Zhang C, Bessler M, Schrope B, Evanko J, Blanco J, Silverberg SJ, Stein EM. Vitamin D Storage in Adipose Tissue of Obese and Normal Weight Women. J Bone Miner Res. 2016, In Press.
8. Cheslack-Postava K, Cremers S, Bao Y, Shen L, Schaefer CA, Brown AS. Maternal serum cytokine levels and risk of bipolar disorder. Brain Behav Immun. 2016, In Press.
9. Greenlee H, Odgen Gaffney A, Aycinena AC, Koch P, Contento I, Karmally W, Richardson JM, Shi Z, Lim E, Tsai WY, Santella RM, Blaner WS, Clugston RD, Cremers S, Pollak S, Sirosh I, Crew KD, Maurer M, Kalinsky K, Hershman DL. Long-term diet and biomarker changes after a short-term intervention among Hispanic breast cancer survivors: The ‘Cocinar Para Su Salud’ randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25(11):1491-1502.
10. Saland JM, Satlin LM, Zalsos-Johnson J, Cremers S, Ginsberg HN. Impaired postprandial lipemic response in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2016; 90(1):172-80.
11. Rubin MR, Cusano NE, Fan WW, Delgado Y, Zhang C, Costa AG, Cremers S, Dworakowski E, Bilezikian JP. Therapy of Hypoparathyroidism With PTH(1-84): A Prospective Six Year Investigation of Efficacy and Safety. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(7):2742-50.
12. Kancheva Landolt N, Bunupuradah T, Kosalaraksa P, Ubolyam S, Thammajaruk N, Cremers S, Zott R, Kerr S, Ananworanich J; HIV-NAT 176 study. High variability of hormonal levels and no clinically relevant interaction between ethinyl estradiol, desogestrel and lopinavir/ritonavir in a small sample of HIV-positive adolescents. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016; 72(5):507-12.
13. Alsahli A, Kiefhaber K, Gold T, Muluke M, Jiang H, Cremers S, Schulze-Späte U. Palmitic Acid Reduces Circulating Bone Formation Markers in Obese Animals and Impairs Osteoblast Activity via C16-Ceramide Accumulation. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016; 98(5):511-9.
14. Morrell KM, Cremers S, Westhoff CL, Davis AR. Relationship between etonogestrel level and BMI in women using the contraceptive implant for more than 1 year. Contraception. 2016; 93(3):263-5.
15. Westhoff CL, Eisenberger A, Tang R, Cremers S, Grossman LV, Pike MC. Clotting factor changes during the first cycle of oral contraceptive use. Contraception. 2016;93(1):70-6.
16. Muluke M, Gold T, Kiefhaber K, Al-Sahli A, Celenti R, Jiang H, Cremers S, Van Dyke T, Schulze-Späte U. Diet-Induced Obesity and Its Differential Impact on Periodontal Bone Loss. J Dent Res. 2016;95(2):223-9.
17. Cohen A, Kamanda-Kosseh M, Recker RR, Lappe JM, Dempster DW, Zhou H, Cremers S, Bucovsky M, Stubby J, Shane E. Bone Density After Teriparatide Discontinuation in Premenopausal Idiopathic Osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015;100(11):4208-14.
18. Amengual JE, Johannet PM, Lombardo M, Zullo KM, Hoehn D, Bhagat G, Scotto L, Jirau-Serrano X, Radeski D, Heinen J, Jiang H, Cremers S, Zhang Y, Jones SS, O'Connor OA. Dual targeting of protein degradation pathways with the s