Kevin L Gardner, MD, PhD
- Clinical Research
2015 Office of the Director's Honors Award as part of the Intramural NIH-Wide Diversity Support Team
2011 NIH Director's Award for "for conducting the first research to clearly define a possible molecular mechanism linking metabolic imbalance with increased breast cancer risk"
2010 Emerald Honoree: Research Leadership, Career Communications Group
2007 Nexus Focus, Science Spectrum Magazine, Career Communications Group
2007 NIH Director's Award for "For exceptionally innovative application of both basic and translational approaches to defining the mechanisms of gene regulation and their role in the evolution of cancer"
2005 Invited to attend 2005 Nobel Symposium on "Energy, molecules and the cosmos"
2004 Philip J. Browning Scientific Pioneer Award, NIH Black Scientist Association
2004 National Cancer Institute Technology Transfer Award
2003 Elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
1999 National Cancer Institute EEO Special Achievement Award
1997 National Cancer Institute EEO Officers Recognition Award
1994 National Cancer Institute EEO Officers Recognition Award
1991 National Cancer Institute EEO Officers Recognition Award
1989 Kaiser Merit Scholar
1985 Awarded postdoctoral fellowship by the American Heart Association
1984 William L. Strauss, Jr. Scholarship, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
1978 Academic All-American Football Player, CoSIDA
1. Byun JS, Park S, Caban A, Jones A, Gardner K. Linking Race, Cancer Outcomes and Tissue Repair. Am J Pathol. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0002-9440(17)30629-6. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Gardner K. The Science of Cancer Health Disparities. Am J Pathol. 2017 Nov 11. pii: S0002-9440(17)30704-6. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Bassey-Archibong BI, Hercules SM, Rayner LGA, Skeete DHA, Smith Connell SP, Brain I, Daramola A, Banjo AAF, Byun JS, Gardner K, Dushoff J, Daniel JM: Kaiso is highly expressed in TNBC tissues of women of African ancestry compared to Caucasian women. Cancer Causes Control Sep 8. doi: 10.1007/s10552-017-0955-2 (2017).
4. Fufa TD, Byun JS, Wakano C, Fernandez AG, Pise-Masison CA, Gardner K, The Tax oncogene enhances ELL incorporation into p300 and P-TEFb containing protein complexes to activate transcription. Biochemical and biophysical research communications 465, 5-11 (2015).
6. Di LJ, Byun JS, Wong MM, Wakano C, Taylor T, Bilke S, Baek S, Hunter K, Yang H, Lee M, Zvosec C, Khramtsova G, Cheng F, Perou CM, Miller CR, Raab R, Olopade OI, Gardner K, Genome-wide profiles of CtBP link metabolism with genome stability and epithelial reprogramming in breast cancer. Nature communications 4, 1449 (2013).
7. Byun JS, Fufa TD, Wakano C, Fernandez A, Haggerty CM, Sung MH, Gardner K, ELL facilitates RNA polymerase II pause site entry and release. Nature communications 3, 633 (2012).
8. Di LJ, Fernandez AG, De Siervi A, Longo DL, Gardner K, Transcriptional regulation of BRCA1 expression by a metabolic switch. Nature structural & molecular biology 17, 1406-1413 (2010).
9. De Siervi A, De Luca P, Byun JS, Di LJ, Fufa T, Haggerty CM, Vazquez E, Moiola C, Longo DL, Gardner K, Transcriptional autoregulation by BRCA1. Cancer Research 70, 532-542 (2010).
8. Byun JS, Wong MM, Cui W, Idelman G, Li Q, De Siervi A, Bilke S, Haggerty CM, Player A, Wang YH, Thirman MJ, Kaberlein JJ, Petrovas C, Koup RA, Longo D, Ozato K, Gardner K, Dynamic bookmarking of primary response genes by p300 and RNA polymerase II complexes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106, 19286-19291 (2009).