Michael D. Kluger, MD, MPH
Division of General Surgery
Dr. Michael Kluger is board-certified in general surgery and specialty trained in liver and pancreas surgery. He focuses on the operative management of pancreatic cancer, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and metastases to the liver and abdominal peritoneum. These complex diseases require treatment plans tailored to each patient's needs; therefore Dr. Kluger employs a multidisciplinary approach to determine the best available treatment options that maximize survival and quality of life. He is highly skilled in minimally invasive procedures, and uses laparoscopy whenever indicated.
Dr. Kluger graduated from the New York University School of Medicine, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and received awards for bioethics and community service. He completed his surgical residency at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. There he was selected to be the Administrative Chief Resident and won the Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award. He received advanced training in liver transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery at Hospital Henri Mondor in France under the world-renowned surgeon Professor Daniel Cherqui. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of several prestigious professional organizations, including the Society of Surgical Oncology and the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract.
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Cancer Care
- Pancreatic Surgery
- Liver Surgery
- Hepato-Biliary Surgery
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Neuroendocrine Tumor
- Gallbladder Cancer
- Bile Duct Injury
- Metastatic Cancer to Liver
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Mesothelioma of Peritoneum
New York Presbyterian Hospital Physician of the Year, 2016
Society of Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, Hepatobiliary Sub-Committee, 2015
Super Doctors Rising Stars, 2015 & 2016
Teaching & Mentor Award, Department of Surgery, Columbia University, 2015
The Kenneth A. Forde Research Award, 2014
Excellence in Teaching Award, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2013
Presidential Poster of Distinction, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2011
European Society of Organ Transplantation Short Stay and Travel Grant, 2009
Philippe Foundation Award for Franco-American Scientific Collaboration, 2009
Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, Arnold P. Gold Foundation, 2007
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2004
Arthur Zitrin Award in Bioethics, 2004
New York Medical Society Community Service Award, 2004
Psi Chi National Psychology Honor Society, 1998
Peer reviewed publications
- Rashid MF, Hecht EM, Steinman J, Kluger MD. Irreversible Electroporation of Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Primer for the Radiologist. Abdominal Radiology. 2017 Oct 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29051982
- Heller D, Chiuzan C, Taub RN, Leinwand J, Greene A, Bates G, Chabot JA, Kluger MD. Recurrence of optimally treated diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma with cytoreduction and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Annals of Surgical Oncology. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29027138
- Steinman J, Zaheer A, Kluger MD, Remotti H, Hecht EM. Rare Pancreatic Tumors. Abdominal Radiology. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29022085.
- Kluger MD, Rashid MF, Rosario VL, Schrope BA, Steinman J, Hecht EM, Chabot JA. Resection of locally advanced pancreatic cancer without regression of arterial encasement after modern-era neoadjuvant therapy. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 28895032
- Ecker BL, McMillan MT, Bassi C, Beane JD, Beckman RM, Behrman SW, Dickson EJ, Callery MP, Christein JD, Drebin JA, Hollis RH, House MG, Jamieson NB, Javed AA, Kent TS, Kluger MD, Kowalsky SJ, Maggino L, Malleo G, Valero V, Velu LKP, Watkins AA, Wolfgang CL, Zureikat AH, Vollmer CM. Risk Factors and Mitigation Strategies for Pancreatic Fistula after Distal Pancreatectomy: Analysis of 2,026 Resections from the International, Multi-institution Distal Pancreatectomy Study Group. Annals of Surgery. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 28857813
- Xu MM, Yin S, Siddiqui AA, Salem RR, Schrope B, Sethi A, Poneros JM, Gress FG, Genkinger JM, Do C, Brooks CA, Chabot JA, Kluger MD, Kowalski T, Loren DE, Aslanian H, Farrell JJ, Gonda TA. Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of three current guidelines for the evaluation of asymptomatic pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Sep;96(35):e7900. PMID: 28858107.
- Binhas M, Egbeola-Martial J, Kluger MD, Roudot-Thoraval F, Grimbert P. Opioids and nonopioids for postoperative pain control in patients with chronic kidney disease. J Opioid Manag. 2017;13(1):17-25. PMID: 28345743
- Najjar M, Taylor A, Agrawal S, Fojo T, Merkler AE, Rosenblum MK, Lennihan L, Kluger MD. Anti-Hu paraneoplastic brainstem encephalitis caused by a pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor presenting with central hypoventilation. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2017;40:72-73. PMID: 28256369
- Hecht EM, Liu MZ, Prince MR, Jambawalikar S, Remotti HE, Weisberg SW, Garmon D, Lopez-Pintado S, Woo Y, Kluger MD, Chabot JA. Can diffusion-weighted imaging serve as a biomarker of fibrosis in pancreatic adenocarcinoma? J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017;46(2):393-402. PMID: 28152252
- Yeh R, Steinman J, Luk L, Kluger MD, Hecht EM. Imaging of pancreatic cancer: what the surgeon wants to know. Clinical Imaging. 2016;7(42):203-217. PMID: 28110203.
- Leinwand JC, Chabot JA, Kluger MD. Preventing recurrence of diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy. 2016;16(9):989-95. PMID: 27486718
- Parekh M, Kluger MD, Griesemer A, Bentley-Hibbert S. Regenerative liver surgeries: the alphabet soup of emerging techniques. Abdominal Radiology. 2016;41(1):162-73. PMID: 26830622
- Kluger MD, Epelboym I, Schrope BA, et al. Single-Institution Experience with Irreversible Electroporation for T4 Pancreatic Cancer: First 50 Patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Dec 29.
- Lee SY, Kingham TP, LaGratta MD, Jessurun J, Cherqui D, Jarnagin WR, Kluger MD. PET-avid hepatocellular adenomas: incidental findings associated with HNF1-α mutated lesions. Accepted for Publication 7/7/2015: HPB. PMID: 26472264.
- Sugahara KN, Scodeller P, Braun GB, de Mendoza TH, Yamazaki CM, Kluger MD, et al. A tumor-penetrating peptide enhances circulation-independent targeting of peritoneal carcinomatosis. J Control Release. 2015;212:59-69.
- Kluger MD, Salceda JA, Laurent A et al. Liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in 313 Western patients: tumor biology and underlying liver rather than tumor size drive prognosis. J Hepatol. 2015;62(5):1131-40.
- Afaneh C, Gerszberg D, Slattery E, Seres DS, Chabot JA, Kluger MD. Pancreatic cancer surgery and nutrition management: a review of the current literature. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2015;4(1):59-71.
- Kluger MD, Halazun KJ, Barroso R, Fox AN, Olsen SK, Madoff DC, Siegel AB, Weintraub JL, Susman J, Brown RS, Cherqui D, Emond JC. Bland- versus chemo-embolization of hepatocellular carcinoma prior to transplantation. Liver Transplantation. 2014; 20(5): 536-543. PMID: 24493271.
- Belin LJ, Neely R, Kluger MD. Techniques for safe organ recovery after endovascular aortic and bariatric surgery. Liver Transplantation. 2014; 20(5): 619-623 PMID: 24493164.
- Kluger MD. Laparoscopic liver resection: basic skills for pe