Childhood and Adolescent Cancers: Our Approach and Expertise
We create a treatment experience that not only gives patients their best chance to overcome their disease but also allows them to experience as much of their childhoods as possible.
- Our entire faculty has academic appointments at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University.
- We meet the needs of a diverse patient population and we lead a National Cancer Institute funded community-based program that promotes access to clinical trials for medically underserved patients and families.
- We were a charter member of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), the largest cooperative research group in the world. Our collective research has led to dramatic improvements in childhood cancer survival rates.
- We were the first pediatric hematology/oncology program in the United States to integrate complementary medicine into the treatment plan of every patient.
- We have a comprehensive sickle cell program that provides the most advanced and comprehensive care for patients with sickle cell disease, including access to clinical trials to prevent complications and extend life.
- We have a stem cell transplant program has improved the quality and expanded the breadth of treatment options for a number of pediatric diseases.
- We have every specialist and subspecialist on-site to diagnose and manage every healthcare need, including:
- Pediatric neurosurgeons for children with brain and spinal cord tumors
- Pediatric orthopedic surgeons for children with bone tumors
- Pediatric liver surgeons and hepatologists from Columbia’s Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, for patients with liver tumors
- Pediatric critical care specialists for children in need of intensive care
- Pediatric cardiologists, nephrologists, pulmonologists, gastroenterologists, neurologists, endocrinologists, and urologists to assist with organ toxicities that arise due to cancer or its treatment
- Pediatric infectious disease specialists to help guide prevention and treatment of infectious complications
- A dedicated pediatric Emergency Department for 24/7 emergency care
Learn more about our division’s clinical expertise, specialty programs, physicians, and more here.