Liver Cancer: Our Approach and Expertise
Each year, the Liver Cancer Program at Columbia University Medical Center/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital cares for several hundred patients with these rare and challenging diseases. Our physicians have been recognized as the world’s leading experts on this condition, and we offer the broadest array of treatments including liver transplantation for hepatocellular and biliary cancers, local therapy approaches, and national leadership in clinical trials for advanced disease.
Our Program is known for providing
- A comprehensive and multidisciplinary team approach to liver cancers involving best in class oncologists, pathologists, hepatologists, surgeons, clinical trialists and basic scientists
- Personalized therapy based on the patient’s own genetic blueprint
- A unique understanding of how liver cancers progress. Our NCI-sponsored prospective studies show how liver cancers manifests in different patients, helping us to determine the best way to manage each stage and each unique form of the disease.
- Opportunities to participate in clinical trials—many of them designed by our physicians—offering access to the most advanced and innovative treatments
- Ongoing research into the origin of cancer, the micro-environment in which abnormal cells first begin to grow, and identifying driver genetic mutations which can lead to the development of new therapies
- Novel trials examining imaging biomarkers to predict response to therapies, and predictors of resistance earlier in the course of therapy using MRI spectroscopy, and Columbia-developed PET imaging technologies
- A caring environment where we strive to treat each patient with warmth, integrity and respect
- The only program in the region where members of all divisions of our group (oncologists, hepatologists, surgeons, and radiologists) are listed in NY Magazine for 2014 as the best in their fields, in addition to world class specialists in all fields of medicine
- Medical advice on lifestyle, exercise, diet and nutrition
- Psychological counseling and support groups
- Consultation on pain management