Leukemia: Our Approach and Expertise
Each year, the Leukemia Program at Columbia University Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital cares for several hundred patients with these rare and challenging diseases. Our physicians have been recognized internationally as leading experts on these conditions. We offer a broad array of treatments, ranging from standard chemotherapy approaches and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation to innovative clinical trials. Our physician-scientists are at the forefront of applying discoveries in the laboratory to patient care and are leading national clinical trials to advance the treatment of leukemia.
Our Leukemia Program is known for providing:
- A comprehensive and multidisciplinary team approach to leukemia involving hematologists, pathologists, cytogeneticists, molecular biologists, clinical and basic research experts.
- Personalized therapy based on the unique genetic blueprint and drug susceptibility of the patient’s disease.
- A unique understanding of how leukemia progresses. Our longitudinal studies show how leukemia manifests in different patients, helping us to determine the best way to manage each stage and unique form of the disease.
- Opportunities to participate in clinical trials—many of them designed by our physicians—offering access to the most advanced and innovative treatments.
- Ongoing research into the origin of leukemia, the micro-environment in which abnormal cells first begin to grow, and the identification of driver genetic mutations—research that may lead to potential cures.
- A caring environment where we strive to treat each patients with warmth, integrity, and respect.
- Access to world-class specialists in all fields of medicine, including, cardiology, infectious diseases, pulmonary and critical care medicine, nephrology, neurology, gastroenterology, radiation oncology, and others.
We also provide a wide range of patient support services including:
- Medical advice on lifestyle, exercise, diet and nutrition
- Psychological counseling and support groups
- Consultation on pain management
- Patient web portals offering easy access to test results, appointments, and follow-up care